The Hamilton Gun Club in Ontario was established in the year 1882. The first site was located at the Dundas Marsh on Gage Inlet. In August 1893, the Club moved to the south side of The Race Track Association grounds in Dundas. In 1900, the Club moved again, to Chappel Farm, on the southeast corner of Barton and Ottawa Streets. The Club purchased the Harris Farm on Jones Inlet on the Bayshore in 1906, and a club house was built. The Property, was sold to The Hamilton Harbour Commission in 1953, and the Club moved again.
The present site was acquired in 1953 on Highway 20 in Vinemount, in the Municipality of Stoney Creek. The original property purchased was eighty acres, and in 1972, an additional 76 acres were purchased to complete the site as it now stands.
The Hamilton Gun Club has used 22 trap fields on its present site. It has hosted Provincial, Canadian, and Eastern Zone A. T.A. Champion- ships. At one time, there was an international style bunker on the grounds, and trials were held to select the Canadian Team to rep- resent Canada at North American, World, and Olympic Competitions. The Club has also hosted Provincial and Canadian Skeet Champion- ships, and it offers a sporting clays layout as well. During these past 119 years, the Club has remained in continuous operation, due to the effort and contributions of its members.
Our Club is the second oldest continuous operating club in North America.
This information was compiled by Dick Tobin, for a book that was prepared to celebrate the 1odh anniversary of the Club in 1982.